Turmeric is a spice used in curry powder. It contains a compound called churchmen which this spice its yellow colour and has anti-inflammatory properties.
This fried rice is a great way to load up on veggies and makes a low carb side dish! This recipe makes a large amount and is great for batch cooking. 1 head of cauliflower makes about 1L or 4 cups of rice but will shrink when cooked.
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 1/2 small sweet onion, diced
- 1/2 cup cremini mushrooms, diced
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup matchstick carrots
- 1/4 cup of green peas, frozen
- 1-2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1-2 tsp all spice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for cooking
- To make cauliflower rice, remove leaves from the cauliflower and chop cauliflower into large florets. Wash and place the florets in a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped (depending on size of your food processor you may have to do this in several batches). Here is a good pictured tutorial for how to make cauliflower rice: http://ohmyveggies.com/how-to-make-cauliflower-rice/ Once made, set aside the rice in a bowl.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or frying pan and scrambled two eggs. Use a spoon to break this up into small pieces. Set aside.
- Add olive oil to pan and stirfry the veggies until soft. Set aside.
- Add the cauliflower to the pan and heat on low-medium for 5 minutes. This will cook quickly, so be sure it doesn’t burn. Add 1/4 cup of vegetable broth as you cook to add some moisture.
- Add the egg and veggies to the pan and then season with turmeric, allspice, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.