These muffins have a secret ingredient – beans! This adds an extra boost of protein and fibre. Beans are incredibly versatile and I included 1 cup of puréed white kidney beans (just drain and rinse canned beans and blend in a blender or food processor) into these muffins! Makes ~10-12 muffins
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup water (to thin mixture if needed)
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup canned, drained & rinsed white kidney beans (cannelloni beans)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (or honey or agave)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup oat flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a muffin tin.
- Make the oat flour by grinding quick oats in the food processor until a flour is made.
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl (chia seeds, oat flour, baking soda and salt).
- In a food processor, puree the white beans. Add bananas and blend.
- In another bowl, mix the pureed beans and banana with maple syrup, almond milk, vanilla and lemon juice. Add the dry ingredients and stir but be careful not to over mix. A dough should start to form. If this is too thick, slowly add water to thin the mixture but it should not become runny.
- Add blueberries and stir.
- Add mixture into muffin tin and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick placed in the centre comes out clean. (Times may vary).